Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Heist



Two grey-blue mockingbirds
alight on my cherry tree,
and set up their look-out;
the squatting male belches
shrill, harsh warnings, his
screeching song feigning pain
to make the gold-finch
and robin flee in alarm,
while Bonnie to his Clyde
picks at my ripe cherries and
knocks one to the ground;
flitting lightly down, she arises,
all Betty Boop
red lips pouting
between pointed beak,
as together they make their get-away,
high into the cottonwood,
beyond the reach of my constable cat,
to divide the fruit of their crime.

5 comments:

  1. haha...bet that drives the cat mad as well...lol...the black birds eat the pears on my tree...til the bb gun shoos them off...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your vivid description. Lovely to have mockingbirds in your yard. We have a flock of mourning doves....just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the use of Bonnie and Clyde & Betty Boop!! You have written the bird scene well. I can almost hear the squawking!! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite lines/images were: "all Betty Boop"; and "high into the cottonwood"; nice execution.

    ReplyDelete