Sunday, July 30, 2017

Communion

“And the deepest level of communication is not communication, but communion. It is wordless. It is beyond words, and it is beyond speech, and it is beyond concept . . . . what we have to recover is our original unity. What we have to be is what we are.” 
Asian Journal of Thomas Merton,

I see the world

as it is, as I think
itis, as I want it
to be:

bright mornings,
shimmering lawns, trees glowing
golden as night dissolves
to glaring day.

I hear mourning doves,
raucous crows, roar of lawn-mowers,
distant whisper
of traffic

and believe these prove
that I alone can end a night
of anxious dreams
with quick breath and
eyes wide open.

But one day, stepping
through terminal veils of pain,
startled, pulling back the black curtain,
in the unexpected rush of ecstasy,
I’ll discover the truth:

my never-ending
communion with
You.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I suspect on that day the world will mirror, you're a good person

    ReplyDelete